CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Spud Soup and Biscuits

 I go on cooking quests...one of them being to find the perfect biscuit recipe.  I found one.  I got it from Lisa Rogerson, except it is no longer Rogerson, off hand I don't know what it is.  Lisa is one of the daughters of our dear friend Vickie Rogerson from Washington.  She had a book of name brand recipes, like these biscuits.  These are KFC biscuits.  They are most delicous. 
KFC Biscuits
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
Sift dry ingredients together.  Put in shortening and cut in.  Make a nest and pour in buttermilk, mix til just combined.  Dump out onto lightly floured table and knead 1 or 2 times, pat out to 1/2 inch thick and cut.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 12 minutes at 400 degrees.  Most delicious with butter and honey or jam!


Spud soup.  Most people probably call it potato soup, Kasey started calling this spud soup and it has stuck.  I don't have a 'real' recipe for this..so it is sort of never the same twice! 
Peel and cube some potatoes...another one of those 'I never measure' things.  Just do what your family will eat.  Cover with water and boil til tender.  Drain off about half the water, you can lightly mash them if you want and that will thicken it a bit.  Sometimes I do, this time I didnt.  Add cream..I love cream!  You can also use milk which is a less fattening, less rich soup.  I add about a quart or so.  If I don't have that much cream I use milk too, add a can of drained corn if you like.  Fry up a half package of bacon that you have diced and drain well.  Add that to the soup.  Season to your taste with salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.  Sometimes I add chicken base.  If you want a thicker soup add instant potatoes a little at a time stirring affter each addition to get it as thick as you want.  This batch I didn't thicken at all...because I was too lazy to climb up on a chair and get the instant potatoes off the top shelf.  We like it thicker.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment