CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy Fall

Caramel apples are a yummy fall treat.  Let me back up a bit...like to last weekend.  I thought it was time to get the Halloween stuff from the garage..ok, back a few days further, I went to the Dollar store and they had their Halloween stuff out.  I bought a bunch of stuff....that is when I decided to get the stuff from the garage.  So last Saturday we brought in all the Halloween stuff.  The little girls and I began to decorate the house...midway through stretching the spiderweb stuff across the living room it dawned on me.  It was only the middle of September.  I thought it was close to October 1...so I had 2 choices, take it down  and disapoint 3 excited little girls.or continue on.  We finished decorating and the girls were so excited to show dad how scarey our house was!  At the check out counter I also bought a Halloween cookbook.  I planned to make some cute halloween goodies throughout the month of October.  Since I seem to have no perception of when October is I started making treats tonight and to start the Halloween season here are some most delicious caramel apples. 
I started by washing 8 Granny Smith apples and putting them in the fridge. 
Next we had to unwrap a bazillion caramels.  Ok, not quite a bazillion but 2 14 ounce packages of them.  I put them in a heavey pan.
While the pan was heating we put the sticks in the apples.



Once the caramels were melted it was time to dip them.


Here is the recipe from the book.

Caramel Apples
1 package (14 ounces) caramels
1 tbsp water
5 Granny Smith apples ( I doubled the recipe and it was enough for 7 medium apples)
Small wooden sticks

Wash, dry and refrigerate apples. 
Unwrap caramels and put in heavy skillet with water..cook and stir til smooth. 
Poke popsicle stick into apple and then dip in the hot caramel, spooning over the top to cover. 
Set to harden on wax paper. 
If desired you can roll the apples in chopped nuts, sprinkles or chopped candies. 

Enjoy and Happy Fall

0 comments:

Post a Comment