CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Gluten Free

Gluten Free...that phrase has scared me.  My daughter-in-law Maja has Celiacs Disease and so she cannot eat wheat.  Well everything I cook/bake/eat has wheat in it!  My quest became to learn how to cook and bake gluten free.  The cooking part was easy, I would just get her gluten free noodles, make her rice and read the labels on bases and things.  You would be amazed where you find wheat!  I was so proud one day, there was a bottle of Pepto Bismal sitting on the counter and ta da!  It is gluten free!!  Maja was not as impressed as I was.  It is the little things that thrill me! 
Kathy Finlayson posted on Facebook that she made gluten free cookies..I quickly sent her a message asking how.  She was so kind and good, she packed up some cookies for me and brought the bags of flour she used to show me.  The cookies were fabulous!  This is the flour I use and I get it at Grahams downtown.  The lady there, I think her name is Shirley is wonderful and very helpful!  I wish I knew how to put a link to her store, if she has one.  Its on main street, you can't miss it. 
You can use this cup for cup, no mixing of different flours.  Wonderful stuff!  It doesn't make a great crust though, like for Lemon Bars.  Too crumbly. 

I decided to run away last week after I had made Gluten free chocolate chip cookies and Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes.  I had to deliver them to Maja!  I told her what an amazing mother-in-law she had!
The cupcakes were very moist and the cookies were most delicious too.  I use the Toll House recipe for the cookies.  The big test on gluten free baked goods is the Chief and Kyle.  They both ate some cookies and didn't notice any difference...and if you know the Chief, he thinks he can tell the difference on lots of things.  Little does he know how often I pull the wool over his eyes! 
Here is Maja and if you look under the pocket on her sweatshirt, well that is my sweet granddaughter Alivia.  I haven't met her yet...but just thinking about her brings tears to my eyes.  I have two wonderful grandsons and can't wait to add Alivia to the mix!
Nope, she didn't eat the whole banana split! 



I used a cream cheese frosting for the cupcakes, I was in a rush to get them done so didn't get a pic of the finished product.  Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment