CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Quick Breads

I have a collection of cookbooks and among this collection are little sets or series of cookbooks.  My very most favorite set is called Company's Coming by Jean Pare`.  There are quite a few in her series, I have 3. 150 Delicious Squares, Salads and my favorite Muffins and More.  I don't think I have made anything from the squares or salads books, but the muffin one has been used a lot!  The pages in my muffin book are stained with vanilla, drips from eggs and other something red,  smudged where I have dripped batter and swiped it off with my finger, and on the banana page there are a couple of those strings from the banana, all dried and brown and a permanent part of that page.
I also have some recipes that I have gotten from family that are most delicious.  Yesterday I made Fayettas Raisen Bread.  I remember her making this and I don't think she had a recipe, just had it memorized.  I have another one I got from my cousin Karen for Cranberry Bread, that is way good.  The good and bad of that one is this: I am the only one who likes it.  My family isn't to fond of it, so I get to eat the whole loaf.  So when you add a whole loaf of cranberry bread with at least a cube of butter to slather on each slice..well it is no wonder I am a little thick around the middle! 
Here are the recipes for Raisen Bread and Cranberry Bread...Enjoy


Raisen Bread
3 Cups water
1 cup raisens ( I used about a cup and a half)
Boil together for 3 minutes
Add
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
stir and
mix 1/4 cup water with 2 tsp baking soda and stir that in.
Add
5 cups flour
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
stir well.
Pour into 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

Karens Cranberry Bread

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Mix togetther and cut in 2 tbsp shortening
Add
3/4 cup orange juice
1 egg
zest of an orange
1 to 1 1/2 cups cranberries, chopped or whole
Bake 60 minutes at 350

0 comments:

Post a Comment